Friday, April 27, 2018

Test Results: A Threshold and Possible/Likely Decline



The test results are in. The tumor is malignant, triple negative (again), and under my armpit, near the original site. It’s 5 cm, up against the rib and according to the oncologist, “trying to touch it,” and currently any operation to remove it would result in disfigurement. The goal now? Reduce the size so that it can be safely removed.

No mets to organs or bones, thank God.

But that’s small consolation right now. The bottom line is that it’s back. Not two years after finishing treatment, and it’s back. The grief and shock are not as great this time around, at least not visibly, but I am numb. Numb and deeply depressed and angry. My grief is not the sudden slam against a wall, but more like slow drowning.

Because this is a kind of threshold.

During the first round of treatment, the word “cure” was bandied about by doctors, nurses, myself and friends -- and it floated through my mind like a bright butterfly. Sometimes it would land, pause for a moment, and fly off, but it was often in view. Optimism was still a possibility, I could look to the sunset and plan for Hawaii. Phrases like “long-term survival” and “preventing recurrence” became touchstones for me, the marker on the racetrack that gave me strength for another lap. I started saving again for retirement. I planned a few trips.

But the cancer is back. And what that means is that treatment options shrink. It means that the cancer is wily, never quite went away, had dormant cells that managed to resist the Strongest Possible Regimen that Medical Science Had to Offer. It means a growing resistance to chemotherapies, and a higher likelihood of future recurrence. It means, in all likelihood, repeated comebacks of the cancer kid.

And my own weakening body as each future treatment unfolds.

I don’t know what to say. I wake each day and walk into my daughter’s room, see her breathing, see her eyes closed.  She doesn’t know yet that the cancer's come back. I want to preserve her innocence a little longer, protect her from the fear and grief to come. Angel of childhood, I pray, protect her from the dark bed of sadness. Give her a mother who is here to keep. But I know this is not heaven. 

It is earth, and there are only birds, and daylight, and the ongoing traffic.


2 comments:

  1. There are no words for how difficult and viscerally chilling all of this is. I'm so sorry, I know how inadequate that is yet am holding you in my heart as you absorb this news and figure out how to deal with it.

    Is there any chance that some (additive) radiation to the area would be a helpful option?

    Thinking of you as we go into the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete

My New Location

I'm changing to a wordpress website. It's called "Pink Stinks." I'll be blogging there from now on. It's still a...